Tuesday, October 14, 2008

EPIC ROAD TRIP....GREAT RACING


Michael and I decided to head to Gloucester, MA to do my first and Michael's second UCI (National Level) Cyclocross race of the season. There was also one in Ohio, but since New England is a possible forever place for us we decided to head NE. Sorry Ohio, but we really aren't mid-west people. So we left early on a Friday for the 8.5 hour trip...which with heading through New York and Boston turned into an 11 hour trip. Ouch! Luckily Gilbert travels well.

We were lucky to have a host family in Gloucester. Michael and Marsha had dinner ready for us when we arrived and even set up a pack & play in our guest room. They were awesome: active, healthy, grandchild Gilbert's age, hospitable, and inspiring. We could not have asked for a better host family. They even came to support us and take pictures at the race. The attached racing photos are from them.

Day one of racing was pretty good. Since I am new to the circuit and did day of race registration I had to start at the very back of a pack of 75 women. I was so far back that my race number didn't even correspond with all the others. I suck at sprinting so that didn't help my start either. Then off to the narrow course. Michael told me the places to use as rest and heart rate recovery. But when you start in 75th place there is no time for rest, it pretty much consists of one big effort. I ust had to hope that the other ladies were doing a little recovery at that time. But I picked them off one by one and managed to "out sprint myself" for a 14th place finish.

Michael did well himself. He also was a little slow off the start line and therefore missed the lead pack. But he worked through and was able to get back up and finish....I think in 13th place.

Day two was the exact same story for me, with the exception of crawling my way up to a 9th place finish. I look forward to the day I get to start more in the front because I think I could really open up a can of whoop ass.

For Michael he had a different story for day two. he had a great start in the top ten, but on lap two he wasn't coming around again. Turned out he got a flat at the beginning of the course, forcing him to have to run two thirds of the course with his bike on his back to the pit to switch bikes. Well that put him in about 40th place. Ouch! But I was proud of him because he got back in it and rode his heart out to end up finishing in 28th. I really have a lot of respect for people that do that, since it would be easy to give up. It says a lot about someone who is able to push through when the outlook doesn't look to be in your favor. I think you know what I mean in more ways than one. :) Plus doesn't he look so hot in the above photo? How did I get so lucky!?!?

On Sunday night we headed up to Dover, NH to visit my friend Gretchen whom I met in Portland. She moved back to the East Coast just over a year ago. Just a few weeks ago she moved in with her man Alex into a farm house. We were their first guests. The place is awesome, so historic. A little rustic with fresh modern touches. Plus with all the fall leaves blowing off the trees it was a real warm fuzzy.

Monday morning we took the scenic drive back and caught the glory of the fall colors. Very beautiful....but with a little traffic and a few road closures it ended up being an 11 hour trip. Thanks you Gilbert for being the great baby that you are.

No comments: